Dog Backpacks

• This topic has 22 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by BasG.

Dog Backpacks

• MarzsMom
    Participant

Hi All – do any of you have suggestions for dog backpacks that fit nicely on Weims? I don’t want anything too big. I’m mainly going to be using it for our long weekend walks when we stop by the pet store and stock up on treats, marrow bones etc (those marrow bones are heavy) or for when we walk to to Home Depot for little things that I can carry. I’m also finding that with the warmer weather  I’m buying a bottle of water here and there so I figured I can put some waters in the backpack too. Basically I’m tired of carrying all of the stuff that we pick up on our weekend excursions and figure I might as well have Marz do some of the work too – LOL.

Mya

I have Odin carry everything when we go for a walk. He loves his backpack and so do I! It is made by ruff wear and rests nicely on the shoulders.

I believe you have me on Instagram @flamegurlsfunnyfarm, there is a picture of him wearing it on there. I can’t link on the iPad to the picture. @BasG do you have any pics?

Weimanamanama Weimaranermama

MarzsMom
    Participant

HI Mya – I looked on IG and didn’t see a pic with a backpack…maybe I’m blind – LOL!

Mya

He is standing on the steps facing me taking the picture when he is wearing it. I am tagging you in the comments so you can find it 🙂

BasG

It sits nice and snug, and doesn’t rotate around his back like some other packs. The weight is also forward towards the shoulders to protect the spine.

Forever Weimanamanama

Katie
    Participant

Okay, so I have been thinking about getting a pack for Jade for a while now and was looking at the ruffwear company.  I havent been able to find them in a store yet to try one on her, but accurding to the sizing guide Jade would wear a small (she has a 25.25 in girth).  I know she is a small Weim, but ordering a small seems like it would be…small.  haha.  did you find the sizing guide to be accurate?  Also, how do you use this mostly?  on leash?  I would like to have a pack that Jade would be able to wear being her crazy self and running through brush in the woods off leash too.  We do a lot of off leash hiking on trails, but she is more of an off-roader so I would like something that would be able to handle that abuse and still stay on her.  Basically is it weim proof? 😉

Mya

We bought ours off of friends that have a husky.

We also have tried it on Athena who we call our mini weim. It is a little big on her. I can check the size for you and let you know which we have. Jade sounds a size smaller than Odin, so maybe go a size down from ours?

Odin in normally wears it on leash,  but it seems to be very sturdy. I would worry about loops catching on branches etc. which would not be safe for the dog.

Katie
    Participant

Oh yes, now that I’m looking at your pictures more closely I see all of those little loops.  Better not risk that.  I will still get one for on leash walks though.  She could use a job on leash.  She only weighs 43 pounds, so shes pretty small.  Maybe the small will work then!

• This reply was modified 10 years ago by Katie.
    BasG

If the pack sits snugly, I wouldnt worry about him getting caught. They’re very nimble, and if they manage to avoid getting hurt, they’ll manage to avoid getting stuck.

Forever Weimanamanama

Mya

I checked. We have a small.

Athena weighs about 22kg

MarzsMom
    Participant

Thanks everyone – the info really helped!

Katie
    Participant

Very true BasG!  I’m amazed that she comes out of any walk through the woods in good condition.  I have to assume a pack wouldn’t hinder her much.  Plus, they are designed for people who go backpacking with their dogs, so I would think those dogs go through brush.  And thank you for looking at the size Mya!  I ordered a small for Jade and It should be here today or tomorrow.  I can’t wait to try it out!

Ocha
    Participant

We have a ruffwear bag too. This one has smaller pockets than the one showed on the previous pictures and comes with 2 plastic (flatypus style) water bottles inside. No problems with being on or off leash with this one. Hopefully you can see the pictures. We bought it at REI.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ocha
    Participant

This is a closer picture…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Inge
    Participant

I’ve heard good things about the ruffwear ones… ruffwear harness is also my favorite harness if you need a safe one for hiking etc..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.