Why you shouldn't exercise pups too hard

Home Forums Health and Nutrition General Health Why you shouldn't exercise pups too hard

Why you shouldn't exercise pups too hard

• BasG

We’ve probably had this discussion with many Weim friends ourselves. When can I start running and training my puppy? The answer to this can’t be explained better with a visual aide.

via: Emerald Chiropractic for K9s

This is an X-ray of a puppy at 2 weeks old – just look to see how far the bones have to grow to just become proper bony joints, let alone become strong articulating joints that have correct feedback into the brain… this is why it is imperative that we don’t over-exercise our puppies, and certainly not jump them or train them too hard before they are fully developed. This is different age categories for different breeds, and if the dog has had any specific problems during it’s puppyhood. Please be careful at this stage so the dog’s joints will last well as they age! Longevity is key!

• This topic was modified 10 years ago by BasG. Reason: fixed title

Forever Weimanamanama

Mya

That’s a great visual. A little scary, but a great teaching/learning tool.

Weimanamanama Weimaranermama

Hayley Sim
    Participant

So I have a 13 week old Weim puppy, how is the best way to get her tired without causing damage? We do a lot of fetch, and go for walks, but some days this doesn’t seem like enough. Thanks!

BasG

When we had our pup, the vet told us short periods”of play alternate with napping. Usually puppies indicate when they have had enough. They told us specifically not to take them on long walks because they will want to try and keep up.

Considering the absurd amount of physical energy they have, I found the best way to tire them out, is by making them work mentally. Teaching obedience, and some basic tricks seemed to work great for us. At 10 weeks old we could get her to sit, lay down, shake a paw and some other basic fun stuff. We bought a little book on Amazon called 101 Dog Tricks. (I attached the amazon link) We just picked some random stuff that she seemed to enjoy. 15 minutes of paying attention and training seemed to be about equal to an hour worth of running around.

Forever Weimanamanama

Mya

I also did a lot of little short walks with Athena. Going across the street to the mail box was an adventure on its own.

Weimanamanama Weimaranermama

Hayley Sim
    Participant

Thanks! Rogue is super smart and seems to learn any trick I ask in a few short training sessions. I will order the book since we are out of ideas for tricks (she can shake, go to her place, down, sit, kennel, get it, drop, leave it), thanks for the ideas and I’m sure I’ll have lots more questions. She is our first Weim and our first puppy, but we’ve wanted one for the last 8 years, just waiting for the right time to get her.

BasG

The best things are worth waiting for.

We would LOVE pictures! Would you like to make an introduction in the puppies section?

Forever Weimanamanama

Anonymous
    Inactive

I find the title a little misleading.  I think you’d be better off saying “Why you SHOULDN’T exercise pups too hard” or “Why you MUST NOT exercise pups to hard.” As it is, it’s as if you’re saying you can’t give a Weim puppy too much exercise, and if someone reads only the title and not the article he or she might get the wrong idea as to what you’re really trying to convey.

BasG

Very well. Semantics are important. I changed the title.

Forever Weimanamanama

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.