Shed Hunting

Shed Hunting

• jmae
    Participant

We took all the girls out to hunt sheds today. And Tula my oldest weim made me very proud. This is what she found.

BasG

Holy expletive! She just saved you a boatload of money in chew toys! I’m gonna have to go and try that!

I know nothing of deer, except that a well marinated steak is exceptionally tasty. They shed their antlers, how often? How long does it take to grow those?

Forever Weimanamanama

Mya

that would cost me a bunch of dollars in the store. Lucky you! And lucky dogs! They must love it.

Weimanamanama Weimaranermama

jmae
    Participant

They shed them once a year in very early spring. And how big they grow depends on how old the deer is and the deer’s genetics.

• This reply was modified 10 years ago by jmae.
    elsie-piper
    Participant

That is an awesome find.

jmae
    Participant

It was a long day, it started out fun, but by the end of it I was just wore out lol. We started at like 11 and didn’t leave the farm till about 3. We actually found 2 sheds, but my husband found the other one (and it was a really small one, compared to the one Tula found). We walked for at least 3 hours through swampy switch grass, the girls got really muddy (they got baths as soon as we got home). And for the last hour we walked though wooded land, and then is where Tula found her prize. It was a good day though all 3 girls are wore out and have been sleeping on the couch since they got their baths. I am hoping Tempi (the 1 year old) is wore out enough and will sleep though the night and not wake me up at 2 or 3 to go out to go potty.

Katie
    Participant

Woha!!!  man, what a great find!

Robin Bjerken
    Participant

I wish I had our own acreage land here in MN, that would be so much fun!

Nancy
    Participant

We live in an area with lots of deer and lots of woods…so exactly how do you shed hunt?  Do you look for where they have rubbed on trees?  I just think it would be cool to find an antler.

Mya

That would actually be a very cool “how to”

maybe you could write that up and post it in the hunting and tracking part of the forum. I would be very interested to build that type of information too. We have a few deer around but I would worry about hunters in those parts of the forests. This sounds like a great way to tire the weims out though.

Weimanamanama Weimaranermama

Luna and Jo Jo
    Participant

Nice job!!! nice drop tine…… Took Luna out yesterday didn’t find any sheds but she did find a rib bone off of a deer

Crazy!!

It's a weim thing!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.