Odin's big scare

Home Forums Health and Nutrition General Health Odin's big scare

Tagged: ,

Odin's big scare

• BasG

So, this morning I wake up, and as usual I’m greeted with a wet nose in my face. I pry open my eyes, and suddenly I’m wide awake! Odin’s face is all puffed up pushing his eyes shut, and he has grape sized lumps all over his face and neck. Some time this morning when the wife let him out (very) early before work, he got into something that was causing a huge allergic reaction. With him this bloated, I was afraid it would start interfering with his air ways. His nose was all swollen up as well, and he made scary wheezing sounds.

I threw on some clothing and rushed him to the vet. When the tech said “I’ll get the doctor right away”, you know you’re in trouble. They gave him a quick shot, wich thankfully seemed to help, and withing 20 minutes, the swelling was all but gone. Went home relieved, with a Benadryl prescription.

• This topic was modified 10 years ago by BasG.

Forever Weimanamanama

BasG

Had a terrifying relapse last night. Odin doesn’t respond well to Benadryl. Last night he started to get puffy again, and the bumps returned. But this time all the way back to his tail, accompanied by small red spots all over his belly and thighs. After we gave him the Benadryl, the swelling and welts went down, but suddenly one pupil started dilating a lot more than the other. We contacted the emergency room, but unless he was behaving altered, there wasn’t much they would be able to do.

I was at the vets right when they opened up at 8. Another shot, and we spread the Benadryl out over several more doses over the day. That seemed to have helped a lot. The poor guy took it like a champ. Besides some scratching, he didn’t give a peep.

We took him to training tonight to blow off a bit of steam, and he did great!

Forever Weimanamanama

Allison
    Participant

Wow! Glad that he is doing so much better!!

Mya

What Bas forgot to mention is that this is an old post he had saved from January. Since then Odin has been doing great and no more allergic reactions. I must admit that all this scared me and I am watching him like a hawk.

Weimanamanama Weimaranermama

Sgrecco
    Participant

I remember seeing this the first go-around…glad to hear he is doing better.

-Steph & Jaeger

Nancy
    Participant

Glad that he is fine, now.  Bet that got your heart pumping faster than a big cup of coffee!

Mya

And if you would know me personally, you would know the crazy effect a big cup of coffee has on me……

We never were able to pinpoint what the problem was, but of course we will keep a close eye on him at all times.

Weimanamanama Weimaranermama

BasG

@flamegurl is banned from caffeine

Forever Weimanamanama

Tina in Holland
    Participant

That is frightening, I remember this in Jan. Amos also has a soort of allergic reaction that we can’t pinpoint. He gets a sort of asthma attack out of the blue with no apparent cause. I have taken him to the vet many times (even called my vet once at 3.00 AM, was sure Amos was going to die –> yes, my vet sleeps with his phone!). Most likely conclusion is that Amos has some kind of throat trauma which is set of by who knows what and leads to a sort of allergic reaction. Luckily we know it only lasts a few hours and we have meds to help him through it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.