Leash walking trick to stop pulling.

Home Forums Sport and Obedience Obedience and behaviour Leash walking trick to stop pulling.

Leash walking trick to stop pulling.

• BasG

When we adopted our boy, he was barely trained, and at 10 months old, quite the puller. I found that it got worse with a harness. It just gives him something sturdy to pull on harder.

When I walked into our first training session at the dog school, and he just about pulled my arm out of it’s socket, our trainer showed me a little trick that completly and utterly, -instantly- changed his leash behaviour. This is called a Half Hitch.

1. Run the leash from the collar along the spine.
    2. Wrap the leash around the chest or belly.
    3. Pull it up like a loop.

When they pull, it tightens a bit around the belly. The pressure makes them back off. It avoids neck and trachea damage. It doesn’t choke them. It doesn’t hurt like a choke chain.

Ok, disclaimer; while this solves a problem, this is not a substitute for proper leash training. But it did keep my wife from getting dragged along the pavement with the groceries when he saw a squirrel.

Forever Weimanamanama

Bridget
    Participant

This is interesting! Levi have great leash skills when he’s working or alone. But when he is walking next to Diesel he is terrible. They’re both trying to get ahead of the other. I will have to try this!

BasG

Even though trainers advise against it, I have started walking the dogs on either side of me to remedy that exact behaviour. It helped me a lot.

Forever Weimanamanama

Tina in Holland
    Participant

I always walked Seamus & Amos on seperate sides of me to avoid them fiddling with each other. I used a jogging belt which I hook Amos up to on my left and had Seamus on a leash at my right. Even when I walked Seamus alone I kept him to my right (opposite of what you are “supposed” to do). But I may be more a creature of habit than the dogs!

I even use the jogging belt with Amos by himself. I have a lead which you can clip the end on different loops to determine the length and give him just enough lead to be able to walk beside me. This is only for a few minutes until we get to the woods where he is off leash. I also did this when I jogged with him and found the less lead he had, the less he would think about sniffing around. Trying to jog in my pace really wore him out mentally more than physically (I’m a slow jogger with short legs!)

Bridget
    Participant

Levi and Diesel actually walk on separate sides anyway because I trained Levi on my right and Diesel is trained to walk on the left. We tried to just change it for walks but they would both slowly gravitate to their normal side.

Mya

I admit to walking them separately…

Weimanamanama Weimaranermama

artsvarc
    Participant

The vet showed me this trick recently.  It does help but Cody still pulls so hard it starts to pinch.  You would think he would stop 🙁

*Melissa- A Queen in a house full of boys.

BasG

Stubborn, aren’t they. :/

Forever Weimanamanama

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.