Is this food any good?

Home Forums Health and Nutrition Nutrition and food Is this food any good?

Is this food any good?

• BasG

I think we’re all familiar with this dilemma. I’ve had quite the ride figuring out what to feed my own two Weims, considering they both have their own set of issues. One of them doesn’t tolerate this, the other doesn’t tolerate that…

The selection at the pet store can be overwhelming, and when you ask the clerk what the best food is, of course it always just so happens to be the most expensive one.

A good place to start reviewing food is http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com that I like to use. I am in no way affiliated with this site, and results may vary. But I have found this a good place to start looking into the quality and break-down of food.

Got any suggestions? Please share.

Forever Weimanamanama

Rich G.
    Participant

I too like the dogfoodadvisor, they seem pretty objective and sort of clinical which is what I want. when I got Indigo at 8 wks old he had some sparse spots on is fur. They vet had a name for it & thought it would go away as he got  older but it didn’t. Numerous tests & treatments didn’t improve his fur so I started experimenting with his food nothing made a difference. But picking dog is like being lost in the forest. The Paw Healer herbs fixed his problem but that another story. I start with the advisor and then send a question to the dog food company. Any semi-technical question will do. Example does your food contain Taurine and if so from what source? Orijen responded with a very complete & thorough email on Taurine it’s source in their food & why dogs need it. Clearly they know what they are talking about. Blue Buffalo replied that dogs make their on Taurine so they didn’t add any. Short & to the point. 4Health a Tractor Supply brand with 4 star rating sent me to the people that make the food for them.  So the response will give you some idea of how serious they are about nutrition. Of course the dogs have to like & not have problems. If nothing else the response can be informative & entertaining. Good luck.

victoria
    Participant

In my experience, every dog does differently on different foods. While I would never feed anything that comes from a grocery store, not every dog does well on Orijen. For mine, it was too high fat/protein and he put on weight just by looking at it (even after drastically reducing the amount). He’s done better on the Acana (same company), the grain free varieties before I switched to raw.

Inge
    Participant

I only feed raw meat..those complete mixes.. They dont eat kibble here, i can leave the foodbowl out all day and no one will eat.

Tina in Holland
    Participant

I’m a raw believer! Mostly barf because it’s easier and I have a weekly schedule so that I know I feed a good balance. Right now I also have a few kg’s of whole makrel in the freezer that I am feeding. But I don’t enjoy messing with yucky things.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.