Biting on Walks

Home Forums Sport and Obedience Obedience and behaviour Biting on Walks

• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Mya.

Biting on Walks

• Hayley Sim
    Participant

Hey Everyone! Looking for a little Weim advice. My Rogue is now 15 weeks old. Inside she is pretty obedient and sweet. The problem starts when I take her for walks, she doesn’t do it every time but when she does, it is bad! She will jump  up on me, put her front legs around me, and bite me. She is ripping my pants and not to mention  it is pretty embarrassing to be out on a walk and have your dog attacking you. I think it is out of play but I don’t know how to stop it.

I’ve tried a stern no, I’ve tried ignoring it, I’ve tried stopping the walk (but as soon as we move again, she is at it again), I tell her no bite (which she totally understands), I’m not sure what to try at this point. I feel like she needs a walk each day besides the training I do and the playing in the backyard everyday, in order to be the calm dog I love inside when we get home….any ideas? Is this a Weim thing or a puppy thing?

BasG

It’s a puppy thing, but Weimaraners tend to be on the extreme edge of this behaviour.

First question- you ARE taking her to puppy training class, right? She is old enough, so if you aren’t this is without a shadow of any doubt a MUST unless you are very very very experienced with dogs. This kind of behaviour will get out of hand quickly. If you think this is annoying now, imagine how much fun it will be when she’s close to 100 pounds.

Anyway, it’s difficult to give universal advice without seeing this. It certainly is a training and obedience thing. If she jumps, turn your back to her and do not give her any attention for a few seconds. Bending over and telling her off, etc, is simply engaging in the behaviour.

The worst punishment for a puppy is to be ignored. Use that to your advantage.

Forever Weimanamanama

Hayley Sim
    Participant

Yes we are in a puppy training class. Thanks, I’ve read that before but ned to use ignoring more in response to bad behavior…your right she hates it!

BasG

Any improvement? Did you talk to your trainer about this?

Forever Weimanamanama

Mya

I remember with Athena I held the leash tight (no choking or hanging her) and away from me so she could not reach. And reward good behaviour with treats. then prolong the good behaviour little by little.

Weimanamanama Weimaranermama

artsvarc
    Participant

Ugh, We went through this too.  There was a time where all of my shirts had holes, my arms were bruised and scratched and when we went on walks, cody would just turn on me.  I tried to ignore the behavior but there is only so much you can do when you are getting attacked.  Turning away only resulted in being bitten in the butt!  I would end up grabbing his collar, pinning him to the ground, sternly saying no and he eventually outgrew it.    One thing I started doing at the time was carrying a small spray bottle with me.  When he started attacking me, he would get a spray in the face.  It helped.

*Melissa- A Queen in a house full of boys.

Ocha
    Participant

One thing we learnt in classes that helped a lot with some jumping and overly excited behaviors was to step on the leash (very close to the collar end) so they have no option but to calm down and stay in place. I guess this is similar to grabbing the leash with your hands and pinning them down but with the advantage that you are just using your feet and you can still talk to somebody or just ignore them as you are just standing in there but limiting their range of motion.

BasG

Yeah I stand on the leash all the time as well. To great chagrin of the wife, who puts in all that effort in making them nice bright leashes and collars.

Forever Weimanamanama

Mya

Lol that is true Bas. I need to make you an all black one!

Weimanamanama Weimaranermama

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.