Bathing and Shampoo?

Home Forums General Weimaraner Discussion Forum Chitchat Bathing and Shampoo?

Bathing and Shampoo?

• artsvarc
    Participant

How often do you bathe your pup and what shampoo do you use?  It seems that after one week of bathing Cody, he stinks again.  I currently use Burt’s Bees.  I know some don’t bathe their dogs for months and there is no way he would last that long.  He eats NutriSource for food so it’s not likes he not eating a good quality.

*Melissa- A Queen in a house full of boys.

BasG

We bathe ours max once a month. Right now we use Tropiclean. I’m clueless when it comes to shampoo, but it seems to work well. Has no weird chemicals added and smells nice.

This winter was easy. It was so cold that most of the time they were wearing a coat, or they simply refused to go outside at all. Of course, depending on how often they roll around in nasty stuff, you can just thoroughly rinse them down as often as you want to. And usually a good rinse and brush will get most the smelly stuff out.

Forever Weimanamanama

Whatagoon
    Participant

Every two or three months or so. But if they go in a creek, roll in something, etc it’s sooner. I try to use a natural shampoo. No specific brand just one that’s not too chemically. I will take a damp rag, squirt some dog conditioner on it and wipe them down with that in between baths but not too frequently.

Kate, River & Izze

Sgrecco
    Participant

It all depends on what were doing.  Jaeger can go almost all winter with no bath but in the summer we bathe him as needed.  He tends to get a bit dirty during our hikes.  Most of the time we can just wipe him down with a damp cloth.  I use an oatmeal based shampoo that seems to work really well and doesn’t dry out the skin.  Ears are a different story as we make sure to clean them about once a week as maintenance.  Ever since we switched to a raw diet, he doesn’t seem to carry that “dog smell.”  Diet plays a big role in how quickly your pup will get stinky and every dog is different with every food. 🙂

-Steph & Jaeger

Tina in Holland
    Participant

If your pup is that smelly than I would REALLY suggest switching to raw. Ours had a bath summer of 2012 (seaweed incident) and Amos had a partial bath a few months ago (runny poop incident). All of our rescues came to us smelly and greasy, after about 2 weeks of raw and one bath to get the old smell off they were fine. Amos likes to get into muddy puddles during walks, but usually by the time we are home it dries up and falls off.

Their coats really tell how they are….another example is that Seamus would get “dandruff” in a stress situation. Within 10 minutes of being at the vet for example he would have a stripe of dandruff down his back.

artsvarc
    Participant

I order all of our meat locally and they just added dog food to their list.  I pick up the order Thursday and I’m planning to switch out one meal with raw.  We boarded/all day daycared Cody for a week in February and he came home very thin, shedding and dandruff.  He has put back on some weight but it still has some dandruff.  I’m hoping that switching one kibble for a raw meal will help him with everything.

*Melissa- A Queen in a house full of boys.

Tina in Holland
    Participant

Be careful to not mix kibble with raw, the digestion rates are really different.

BasG

What about canned food? I read advice about mixing that with kibble all the time. Even from vets.

Forever Weimanamanama

Nad_pic
    Participant

Uh oh. Went from bathing to raw :s

i bath hunter in baby shampoo 🙂 he smells so cuddly!!

Tina in Holland
    Participant

What about canned food? I read advice about mixing that with kibble all the time. Even from vets.

Canned is not like raw. But seems we need to stay on the bath subject 😉

elsie-piper
    Participant

Our weims dont stink alot. I maybe bath them once every couple month’s,  and that is after a hike or hunting and they get muddy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.