Antlers?

Antlers?

• artsvarc
    Participant

Cody eats the bottoms off of the black Kongs.  Raw bones are not an option indoors.  I need something more to keep Cody interested, especially when he is in his crate.  What do you think about antlers, yay or nay?

*Melissa- A Queen in a house full of boys.

Mya

Yay!

Odin and Athena are serious chewers and I bought antlers quite a while back. They both love them and it seems to give endless chewing fun for them.  They told me if they don’t take to an antler right away to put them in chicken broth? Not sure what the details about that were anymore but I am sure google can help if it comes to that.

Weimanamanama Weimaranermama

BasG

Both of ours are -very- heavy chewers. They rip most toys to shreds. We have found some toys that last a bit longer, but still. Most dogs use their toys for years.

We have a couple of antlers, and after several months of chewing, they have barely made a dent in them. We also have a few bones. I get raw bones with some meat still on it from the butchers. Soup bones. They go absolutely beserk for those, and lasts them several weeks as well. Full cow ribs keep them busy for maybe a day.

We also found out that there are hollowed out bones available stuffed with “roll over”. That’s a dry cured meat sort of sausage filling.

Forever Weimanamanama

elsie-piper
    Participant

Antlers are the only thing that lasts around our house.

Katie
    Participant

Anyone have any favorite places to buy them?

BasG

Farmers market is cheapest by far. Same deal with bullwinkles that are twice as expensive in stores.

Forever Weimanamanama

Melissa
    Participant

Antlers by far last the longest in my opinion! Artsvarc- what formula of nutrisource are you feeding? I was feeding that but my dog has completely lost interest for some reason. We have the lamb

Tina in Holland
    Participant

I got some that were already sawed in half so they could get to the softer inside better, but they never really took to them. Mine are not serious chewers (had a senior kong for over 3 years) and Amos is missing quite a few teeth which doesn’t make it easier for him to chew.

artsvarc
    Participant

Antlers by far last the longest in my opinion! Artsvarc- what formula of nutrisource are you feeding? I was feeding that but my dog has completely lost interest for some reason. We have the lamb

I ordered some stuff from Amazon yesterday and threw an antler in there.

Cody is on the Large Breed Puppy.  It’s Chicken and Rice.  Have you tried to change it up with yogurt or egg?

*Melissa- A Queen in a house full of boys.

Sgrecco
    Participant

Yes!  Antlers rock and are so durable for a heavy chewer like weims.  I bought a pretty big one for $32 about a year and a half ago and Jaeger still gnaws on it.  They last the longest in my opinion.

-Steph & Jaeger

Melissa
    Participant

No I hadnt even thought of that! I did mix cheese a day or two and she would pick around lol

Luna and Jo Jo
    Participant

Yes on antler,  I’ve taking Luna and my other dog  out in the woods every year to find them, so if you live around woods the deer start to drop them in January and they should all be drop by now thru mid April

Crazy!!

It's a weim thing!!!

Sgrecco
    Participant

Yes on antler, I’ve taking Luna and my other dog out in the woods every year to find them, so if you live around woods the deer start to drop them in January and they should all be drop by now thru mid April

Do you have to do anything special with the antlers if you find them out in the wild?  Like prep them before giving them to the dog?  I usually buy mine at the store and never thought of doing some walking in the woods for them!

-Steph & Jaeger

Luna and Jo Jo
    Participant

No nothing and if you deside to train your weim to find them it better that they smell natural.

Crazy!!

It's a weim thing!!!

BasG

I’m not a fan of hunting, but this seems something useful to train the dogs for. That would make great gifts for our dog friends too.

Forever Weimanamanama

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.