Wanting to Do The Right Thing……Needing Some...

Home Forums General Weimaraner Discussion Forum Chitchat Wanting to Do The Right Thing……Needing Some Advice……..

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Mya.

Wanting to Do The Right Thing……Needing Some Advice……..

• Bonita
    Participant

I think I’ve mentioned that we’ve been looking for another friend & that I have applied to adopt a youngster through Pointer Rescue in Ontario…So the wait begins,,In the mean time we heard of a young male GSP looking for a new home…So Yesterday we made the long trip to meet this boy..Gorgeous,well looked after..13 month neutered GSP..Perfect friend for our Skyler …So we brought him home to meet the girls ….Needless to say it has been a long two days of traveling…& I am so disapointed ..First of all the young GSP Monte decided our cats were bunnies & the hunt,, I want to eat the cat was on…Not sure about you guys but our 13.5 GSP mix Carly & Skyler  love our cats & the cats love them they all will cuddle….I know not all do..Anyhow what really bothered me was Skyler’s reaction to this Monte.. Anytime he would get close to us,Carly, or did much anything she would mouth him.growled a few times..She did seem unsure & nervous of him & her tail was tucked..Once she walked passed him & made a yelp & the poor guy wasn’t even looking at her…It was like this is my Mom & Dad my toys My Carly & don;t get near…Most of her behavior looking at it today & rested seemed to be uncertainty but  it does’t make me feel much better..Skyler is super friendly toward everyone & all dogs…She is more submissive..Carly & her are super close …We have been looking for a dog as our beautiful girl GSP Carly is almost 14 & we thought it would be a good idea for Skyler to bond with another dog as we feel she wouldn’t be so happy on her own in the future… I love my girls & would be perfectly happy with Carly living forever but know this will not be & it makes me so sad..Not sure what to do…….. Any advice

greydogs
    Participant

did they meet on neutral ground?
    that can help, so no one feel threatened.

maybe back up a few steps and take them to a park. (and use 2 cars or walk them there separately)

Tina in Holland
    Participant

When adopters are far away it’s hard to take the time to meet & greet properly. We try to meet at least twice on neutral ground before a meeting at home. Amos was also jealous if Seamus got too much attention and would snap at Seamus (Amos was the new guy then!). Amos will also snap at another dog that leans on me (some dogs just love attention) while he is always fine with dogs we meet on walks. Because Seamus was such a laid back dog we made a big point with Amos and the RR Luna we had before Amos to not allow “bullying”. There is a pecking order under the dogs, but we make the rules and insist on nice manners. That also goes in a one-dog home. The down side is not letting your first dog feel ignored…very tricky situation.

Do you have friends w/dogs that come over to your house? How does she then act? Or did she really not like the new boy?

Mya

We had ours meet on neutral ground. We had brought Athena on the three hour drive and when we met Odin our friends had Athena. The loved to get to play and get to know each other in a park.

Odin had barked and protected his home for 20 minutes to half an hour just because we walked in…

it is very tricky. It is hard for us to let them deal with ranking. I find mine do better in any situation when I give them a command for a trick and they earn treats. They thrive on that.

Weimanamanama Weimaranermama

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.