How to shed (antler) hunt

Home Forums Sport and Obedience Hunting and Tracking How to shed (antler) hunt

How to shed (antler) hunt

• jmae
    Participant

To be honest this is the first shed that one of my girls have found. The first shed I found was about 2 years ago and we actually just came across it while out at the farm to run the girls. But, ever since I found my first one I could not wait till spring to go look for them again.

First off shedding antlers is a two to three week process occurring between January and April. The testosterone levels are down at this time of year which is what cause the antlers to shed.

When we go out we usually try to get out as soon as the snow melts. The reason for this is because squirrels and mice will eat the antlers till there is nothing left (remind yall of our pups? lol). You usually want to go out in an area where you know there is a lot of deer traffic. We try to follow deer paths since that is where they always travel. Sometimes you find them in an area where the antlers were knocked off by branches as they walk by, or you can just find them laying in the middle of a field (my dad found one in a corn field last year, just laying in the middle of a row). There really is no science to it I think it is mostly luck to be honest. I do know that people do train dogs to shed hunt though. I believe they do this by using antlers as the dogs chew toy all the time, so that way they know the smell and what to get the antler. These trained dogs will retrieve the antlers and bring them to the hunter, in the case of Tula finding hers I noticed she kept walking in a circle sniff the same spot then I noticed what she was smelling. I hope this helps some of you find some sheds, and make sure to keep your eyes open the smaller ones are really hard to see sometimes. Good luck hunting 🙂

• This topic was modified 10 years ago by jmae.
    • This topic was modified 10 years ago by jmae.
    Mya

Thank you! This is a great addition to our knowledge 🙂

Weimanamanama Weimaranermama

Katie
    Participant

We are going back up to Michigan at the end of April and we are going to give it a try!  Hopefully its not too late, but a walk in the woods is never a bad way to spend your time regardless 🙂

Bridget
    Participant

I have been trying convince my family to go shed hunting with me! We have a lot of deer in our forest preserves. I think it will be fun (plus, save money since Levi is obsessed with his antlers.)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.