How many meals a day?

Home Forums Health and Nutrition Nutrition and food How many meals a day?

How many meals a day?

• Luna and Jo Jo
    Participant

So Luna is coming up on one year now, and I’m starting to wonder is it time to start cutting back on her food a bit. My other dog only ate one time a day and my roommates dog only eats one time a day……. How many times a day do us weim people feed our weims a day after they are one???

Crazy!!

It's a weim thing!!!

elsie-piper
    Participant

I fed our two weims, 3 times a day.  Small meals through out the day helps with the possibility of bloat.  I work my two a lot so they burn it off.   I fed them about 4 cups to 5 cups a day.  If they are going to be coach potatoes for a bit I feed them a little less.  Our 2 year old is 57 lbs. And our 7momth old is 36lbs.

Luna and Jo Jo
    Participant

Right now we do two times a day but a total of 4 cups give or take… Luna is almost 11 months old and already at 62 lbs but she is all legs….. I’m more then happy to keep her on this feeding schedule if that the best for her

Crazy!!

It's a weim thing!!!

Bonita
    Participant

Hi , we feed our weim canine caviar.. We  were feeding our weim 3 times a day but for some time now have been feeding 4 times … She develped  bilious vomiting syndrome.. her belly being empty too long, so we spread out her food throughout the day ending in a small meal before bed..This put a stop to the very early morning  gagging…Our girl is 15 mths petite at 43 pounds

Waylon
    Participant

we feed our Waylon (18 months) 4 cups a day but he is a grazer he rarely eat all his food in one sitting an if he does it’s usually his evening meal an then he’s out for the count we have always fed him 4 cups a day usually broken into 2 serving times, I feel like if we cut back on his food he’s gana lose the weight and he is ALL legs an between 65-70lb baby!!

• This reply was modified 10 years ago by Waylon.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.
    - Dean Knootz

Bridget
    Participant

Levi eats Nature’s logic. 2 cups at 8am and 2 cups at 6pm. Along with treats throughout the day. He will be 2 in May. But he also is a service dog and goes with me everywhere (as well as doing weight bearing work) so it is a lot of exercise for him. With snacks, he actually eats way more than my parent’s lab. But then again Diesel is kenneled for most of the day. When Levi is more active than usual (swimming, going to the mall, running, amusement park, etc) I give him a little more.

I think I should also note that Levi gets 1 or 2 tablespoons of yogurt or pumpkin mixed in with his food (to help with his horrendous gas.)

• This reply was modified 10 years ago by Bridget.
    andrew
    Participant

AUBREY AND AVERY AFTER A BATH

Aubrey and Avery get almost 4 cups a day. we use 3 feedings a day.Here they are zzzz after a well need bath.My back yard is a mosh pit

• This reply was modified 10 years ago by andrew.
    Bridget
    Participant

My backyard is a mud pit right now too because all the snow melted. I’m glad to see that what I feed him is average. My parents thought I was crazy because if they ever fed their dog that much he would be rolling around.

Luna and Jo Jo
    Participant

Thank you everyone for all the feed back it’s really helped me figure out what we should do…. Side note I agree about the back yard all that snow melted and it had no where to go…. And now it’s been raining, at this rate we won’t have grass in our backyard

Crazy!!

It's a weim thing!!!

BasG

The problem is that the ground is still frozen and the melting snow has nowhere to go. That creates the mud.

Aaaaaanyway, we feed ours between 3 and 4 cups a day as well, depending on the activities. They get the biggest meal in the morning (remember, it’s the most important one!) and another cup in the evening around 6. If they did a lot of exercise they get an extra cup in the afternoon or piled in at night. 6 might be too early for some dogs, and will vomit at night on an empty stomach. So it’s a good idea to feed them about 2-3 hours before bedtime if that’s the case.

Forever Weimanamanama

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.